Monday, May 19, 2014

LOTR: The Last Entwife

I remember when Ents and Entwives would live in the Forest of Fangorn, as it is called, together. But we moved. Unlike our counterparts, the Entwives desired the trees in neat rows, the plants pretty and placed in the places that flattered them most.
  So we left the Forest of Fangorn. We taught the, then young, race of Men. We taught them to harvest the earth. We taught them all the secrets we thought they could use. And we moved farther from the Forest of Fangorn.
  I remember when our beautiful gardens were ravaged by the war. Decimated, the once bountiful land was no longer. Our gardens were gone. I have heard tales of what that land is now called, the Brown Lands. And I know that I am the only Entwife to escape.
  And now I stand still, almost asleep. I am content to stand still as these quaint little beings I now live with deck me with ribbons.
  They do not know what I am. No one does. I myself have almost forgotten. I love this land, this little Hobbiton, Shire. The occupants are fond of gardening. I remember when I first arrived. The people, so sweet. I taught them to farm, gave them their love of plants, though their love of food is their own. I lost the last of my entdraught when I came here, for I poured it into the water within what is now the Old Forest. I have heard rumors of the unique trees, and I do fear that is my fault.
  Over the years, the Hobbits had forgotten that I was truly living. They gave me a fanciful name, and celebrated beneath my branches. Now they raise a banner. I cannot read it, but the many Hobbits cheer happily. I do believe this is some Hobbits birthday, Bilbo Baggins, if the excited whispers from the past couple weeks are accurate.
  The party has begun. They dance under my leaves. I am a tree to them. They call me the Party Tree. I am glad that I hold some significance to my little companions.
  As the fiddle plays, I feel myself finally slipping into sleep. I am becoming more treeish, as many Ents and Entwives will do when they know their duty is done. So I fall asleep, I, the last Entwife.

No comments:

Post a Comment